The Stock Exchange Arcade in Charter’s Towers began life as the ‘Royal Arcade’ in 1888, and was a mixed use building with retail & office space. A couple of years later it became home to the stock exchange which gave the building its present name.
This stock exchange was one of a number of regional exchanges in Australia, and was started to service the needs of the booming gold mining industry in the area. Eventually the mines ceased to be productive, and the stock exchange shut its doors in 1916.
The building has been heritage listed – it is notable for both its history and construction. Among its features is a glass canopy covering the tiled common space of the arcade. The arcade was acquired by the Charter’s Towers Council in 1971, and due to the disrepair the building had fallen into, a general restoration of the building was done in conjunction with the National Trust.
As part of the original restoration the glass canopy was replaced with a wired glass & aluminium framing system, which met glazing standards of the time. This had deteriorated over several decades, began to leak, and was generally in a poor state. Additionally the 6mm wire cast glass used in the canopy was not up to current safety standards, as wired glass is weaker than laminated glass and is much less safe if broken.
For the 3 month duration of the latest restoration project, G.James acted as the builder, programming all construction works. Given its heritage value, exceptional care was taken to avoid damage to the building throughout the works, particularly the tiled floor which had to support scaffolding for the roof refurbishment.
The old roof was removed and replaced with 12.38 mm translucent laminated glass, which was structurally glazed to the new aluminium frame. G.James’ 265 series fixed windows were used in the vertical section.
Whilst this modern glazing system is certainly different from the original, it is a subtle enhancement, and elements such as the existing wrought iron and timber roof framing serve to seamlessly blend the new with the old.
This project was undertaken for the National Trust of Queensland.
Who to contact
To find out more, please visit our specialised glazing gallery, or contact G.James Glass Contracting on (07) 3877 2225.